Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chayanne In Flashback! Circa 1998: Guajira


I'm sitting here thinking over the last year and a half, and one of my favorite memories comes to my mind. Go back with me if you will prior to the start of Chayanne's 2010-2011 NHI Tour. In preparation for the tour, Chayanne send out a tweet telling fans that he's listening to songs that he might use on the tour and asks what songs fans would like to hear on the tour.

Well....I did exactly what any Chayanne fan would do.......I got on Twitter and let my fingers tweet as fast as they could and submitted my choice, "Guajira" of course! (Now let me clarify, my all time favorite song is "Te Echo de Menos", but he did that song in his last concert as part of a medley. But "Guajira" hasn't been heard performed live in ages.) I was Über excited to cast my vote, but I really didn't think it would amount to much after I saw that about a gazillion (is that a word) fans were tweeting the same time as I was. I perused the list of responses and I didn't see where anyone else had mention "Guajira". After that I kind of dismissed it and thought to myself that Chayanne would never use that song for this tour.


Yes this is my favorite still from the video...I dream that it's me *wink*


Long story short....Chayanne did use "Guajira", and I got to hear it live for the first time over the phone as my amigocha Rosalita (Guajira Chicas To The Bone!) called me from the concert to let me hear it. It was all I could do to keep from screaming and waking up my entire house hold.





(This is the concert that Rosa let me listen in on!) Laura, how did you keep your hands so steady! Besitos!


So with that said, I thought you would enjoy this behind the scenes look at the making of "Guajira". Please enjoy this translation by my sister La Guerita Caprichosa (who as of very early this morning is a new mommy! Love you Sister Girl!)

~Peace 

NOTE: The background music is a bit loud so you may need to turn up your volume to hear the interview clearly



Chayanne - Entrevista en HTV – 1998

"I had never worked in Black and White before, and that is something different that seemed very nice on the part of  [my apologies to the person he names, but I can't make it out... perhaps the director of the video shoot? Can anyone help fill this in?] It was good that it was something new that I was doing.

There is no choreography of any type, which usually I put in some type of choreography. There are absolutely no dancers.  What is used is more of the photography model.  It is very fresh, not so stylized... the video is somewhat relaxed.

The straw hat gives you more freedom, it makes you more casual. There are a lot of details that I had not used in previous videos.  The model is the same... the singer is the same, which is me (laughs), but obviously with the years of experience you deposit that in the newer projects.

 There was an amusing experience in making the video. One of the (male) models had to pour coconut water onto one of the (female) models, and we had to repeat that several times... it was amusing.

Well, the hardest part I can tell you was the scorching sun that was out that day. It was brutal. One of those that you feel like your skull is going to crack open and you have to close it back up. (laughs) But the other thing was the trip to get there we had to pass through the Everglades and there were a whole lot of alligators, no, but no, that depends also on how you take things. You know that you have a job to do, you have to work and there are sacrifices that go with that, it is normal. I am very playful because I have a lot of fun in my career."

2 comments:

  1. I have so many wonderful memories from this tour. But the best part is dreaming of what the next tour will be like ;)

    ReplyDelete