Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My First Time With Chayanne --- Pt. 1 of Bariloche's Saga

How to begin this post?  How about this… Do you remember how that Roberta Flack song goes??
The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the empty skies, my love,
To the dark and the empty skies.


That is exactly what staring into Chayanne’s eyes was for the first time.  But before I get to that part, let me give you a bit of the background story.
As I may have mentioned before, I became infatuated with his music when I was 9.  I then came to America and spent the following 14 years or so studying.  Study Study Study!!!  I never had the opportunity to attend one of his concerts.  And then the day came when I got an email from Ticketmaster (it was December 2006) and it was a presale code to buy tickets to his show in New York City in May of 2007.  I thought, SWEET!  I’ll take my mom for Mother’s Day (She loves him too).  So I got my ticket and didn’t think of it for months.  As the show drew near I started practicing my songs, and started getting excited.  Then I noticed my seat locations.  5th Row, a mere maybe 10 feet from the stage.  I couldn’t believe it.  What happened next during the 2 hour show would begin a frenzy that would not stop for years to come…. It hasn’t yet!
During the Cautivo/Mi Tiempo tour, his opening song was “Y tu Te Vas”, one of my favorites.  When the lighting effect on the background stopped and all the sudden he appeared, I swear it was like looking at an Angel coming down from the heavens.  There was an instance during the show when he made eye to eye contact with me and blew me a kiss.  And OOOOOH BOY! I was done.  My mother was enjoying the show which made it all worth it.  There was a part of the show where he stopped to speak to the audience and went over Latin-American countries while the crowd screamed to show their representation.  He must’ve gone through 10 countries and not one mention of “Dominican Republic” (where I was born), so I got up from my chair and started screaming it out.  He noticed me and kept saying country after country while looking at me and smiling and did not get it.  So he gave up.  He gave up by saying “You know what, leave me your number, I’ll take you out to dinner and then you can tell me where you are from”.  I was officially in heaven. :-)  Two songs later he stops to chat with us a little bit more, turns to me and says… “I bet I got it now… Dominican Republic!”.  It was AMAZING. 
I was hooked for life.  After that show the hype of all the emotions I felt kept me up from sleeping and I knew what I had to do.  I went to work, still jumping, got on the computer and searched Ticketmaster for a ticket for that day’s show.  After receiving multiple “nothing available” messages, I said “screw this!” and I got on the phone.  I got a representative who was very nice and told me that though it was sold out, she would look for me.  And guess what… One ticket.  5th Row Center.  ALL MINE.  She explained that a few front row tickets are sometimes withheld until the day of the show for sale.  That night, Chayanne came out on stage and after his solo dance, he stopped took one look and pointed at me and blew me a kiss.  Recognition!  That show was great.  Even better than the night before.  There simply are no words to describe it.

So this is where I will end part 1 of this mini series.  Tomorrow I will tell you of my continued hype and my crazy decision to go to Canada…  Which actually turned out to be one of the best decisions I could’ve ever made!!!

As my story progresses, I will share with you all the videos and some of the photos I collected from my adventures.  I hope you all  enjoy them  :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Bari, thank you so much for sharing, I can hardly wait for the next chapter, its like reading a really good book.

    Don't keep us waiting too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Kita! I'm hanging in there myself for the next part! I always did love a good book *smile*

    ReplyDelete